Columbus' Original Handcrafted Real Ice Cream
Family-owned and operated for over 67 years...
On September 1,1950 a family tradition was born when Robert N. Johnson and his son in-law James Wilcoxon, Sr., opened what is now Johnson’s Real Ice Cream, a successful 4th generation family business that has loyally served and been an active community partner in Bexley and Central Ohio.
Together the father and son-in-law duo developed the ice cream and built the building for the business that has become the oldest and most complete ice cream shop in Columbus.
For 45 years, James Sr’s eldest son, James Wilcoxon, Jr., operated the 3rd generation of the family business and now his son, Matthew, affectionately known as the “Big Dipper” is now at the helm as the the 4th generation owner. He’s eager and has some tasty ideas on the horizon!
• The front door sticks at the Original shop in Bexley…and it's the original door from 1950!
• Matt’s Grandpa called him the “Big Dipper” and his younger brother, Jeff, the “Little Dipper”.
• Johnson’s produces all of its product in Bexley.
• Johnson’s services over 300 restaurants.
• They have a mascot named “Scoops”.
• Johnson’s has recently expanded its catering and events division.